Dan Savage Responds To Hate Group Leader Tony Perkins
The robustly heterosexual head of the Family Research Council went on Mike Huckabee’s radio show today to respond to my recent comments. Huckabee said I was rude and vile and unhappy—please, Rev. Girlfriend, I listen toGypsy when I’m at the gym (unhappy gay men listen to Passion at the gym)—and then it wasTony Perkins’ turn:
- As my teenagers would say, he has some issues. He is a man with some real deep-seated issues … and Dan Savage is nowhere near, he’s a hundred and eighty degrees from the positions that we have taken. It’s wrong and I will tell you this,we are pursuing everything possible to deal with him because he is out of control…. This is the bottom line, Mike: is that if you don’t embrace and celebrate homosexuality and everything associated with it, then you are intolerant. And the truth of the matter is, let’s just be very, very truthful, and that’s what we deal in is the truth, that even is society embraced homosexuality, there would never be that sense of self-fulfillment because it’s outside the way God created man and woman. And that’s the bottom line. They cannot erase that, even if they get every law on the books changed, it will never change that.
Yes, Tony, I have issues.I have issues with people who would deny me and other LGBT people our full civil equality for no legitimate reason. I have particular issues with high-profile haters who encourage parents to reject their LGBT kids, doubling their already quadrupled risk for suicide. I have issues with people who say that LGBT people are “pawns of the devil.” I have issues with people who compare LGBT people to terrorists. I have issues with people who falsely link homosexuality and pedophilia. I have issues with people who suggest that a law calling for the execution of gay people merely “upholds moral conduct.”But having issues with you, Tony, isn’t quite the same thing as “having issues.” Please make a note of it.And you didn’t address the actual issue I raised during your chat today with Huckabee. You and Mike called me names—because you were angry that I called you names?—but you didn’t address the issue. So here it is again:
- LGBT kids are four times greater risk of suicide. Tony Perkinsadvises the parents of LGBT kids to reject their children. LGBT kids who are rejected by their parents are at eight times greater risk of suicide. Perkins is aware of these studies and yet heactively encourages the parents of LGBT kids to do what Perkins knows will push those kids closer to suicide.
Sue me, Tony. I’d love to see you talk about my “issues” on a witness stand.I realize that this isn’t how you think the world is supposed to work, Tony. You believe—and you’re old enough to remember a time when—people like you were free to say vile and disgusting things people like me without anyone objecting. Certainly people like me weren’t allowed to call you out. You believe you should be free to lie about me and other LGBT people—we’re all pedophiles and terrorists and Satanists—and that we should have to sit down and shut up and take it because… well, I’m not sure why you think we’re not allowed to respond when you lie about us.Maybe that’s something we could get to the bottom of during the depositions.
- hcshannon likes this
- infinitelygay reblogged this from alexorue
- mapeche likes this
- thegreatspag likes this
- scrowgasm reblogged this from helldal
- helldal reblogged this from kaitocain
- soiledphotos likes this
- kaitocain reblogged this from invisiblelad
- invisiblelad reblogged this from alexorue and added:
- alexorue posted this